|Birth, Death, Love and Rice|
|Season 4, Episode 1|
|Air date||26 Sept 1985|
|Written by||Heide Perlman|
|Directed by||James Burrows|
Woody Goes Belly Up
Sam couldn't stop the wedding, but Frasier tells him that Diane left him at the altar and is now working at a convent. So Sam visits Diane to ask her to come back to Cheers. Meanwhile, Coach has passed away and Indiana farmboy Woody Boyd becomes Cheers's new assistant bartender.
- This is Woody Harrelson's first appearance on the show.
- This is the first episode where the Cheers theme song is updated again, in which "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" is rerecorded by adding more vocals to it. This remained in use until the show's ending in 1993.
- We hear Coach and Woody were pen pals and today is the day they were supposed to meet.
- Shelley Long as Diane Chambers
- Ted Danson as Sam Malone
- Rhea Perlman as Carla Tortelli
- John Ratzenberger as Cliff Clavin
- George Wendt as Norm Peterson
- Woody Harrelson as Woody Boyd
Recurring / Guest stars: